Monday, August 17, 2009

Ruby's Vintage Hats & Designs

Here are a few vintage hats I've bought, the lavender hat is, I think, from the 1950s, I have not altered it-except I added a clear elastic band to hold the hat without the use of hatpins. I have tucked it beneath in the lavender hat. I notice I have a few more hats that are also asymmetrical, all seem to befrom the 1950s. It has a small stip of veiling that is enough to just cover the eyes, so I either wrap it over the front or tuck it beneath . The bow is from the same lavender faux straw, & it has velvet violets with faux pearl centers, as well as flat flowers the may be roses-made of ribboon with faux pearls on the ends of the stamens on the side of the hat.

The black platter hat, also ufo hat is 1 that I did alter-it it vintage & in the style of the 1940s. I added the black rose & the irridescent black feathers. The material isn't straw, it's like the lavender hat-for now I'll call it faux straw. There are 2 inverted triangles beneath, these are well-known in 40s hats, & the edges are covered in chenille.

The pink hat on the bottom is a vintage hat I have not altered, the black ring in the back is there to hold it on it is wire covered with a black fabric that almost looks like it was cut from the seam allowance on the edges of fabric bolts. I do think this hat is from the 1930s, it has a beautiful veil which is a very light pinkish taupe & it is like a cloud around the face, with delicate light pink roses & 6 loops that are wire covered by mauve bias strips.






No comments:

Post a Comment